Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Time to Reflect

In the short interludes of time where I am more alone I guess, I have time to reflect. My reflections lately go as follows in the form of three main topics:
  • Friends are important and you must do your best to maintain and support your friendships. It is difficult at times when you have a lot going on, but taking the time to make someone else feel better or have a good day is always worth it, whether or not it is realised at the time.

  • Always do your best at whatever you do. You will get more out of it than if you don't, and you may well learn something new about yourself that will help you in the future. The word potential is thrown around a lot in education, but I do feel it is true. Everyone has potential that they can live up to, but not necessarily be limited by. You can do anything you put your mind to. If you try your best and have the belief, you can do it.

  • What has passed is in the past. Be that good or bad, it is impossible to change what happened. You can, however, impact upon that by your actions now in the present, and contribute to a different/better future. You can learn from your mistakes and also from what you do right, to inform you as how best to act in situations happening now and those coming in the future.

I remember reading this quote a while back, though I can't remember where:

"If practice makes perfect, but nobody is perfect, then why practice?"

It is this kind of mentality that limits people and their ability to fulfil their potential. The statement is based upon perfection, but what is perfection anyway? Everyone has a different opinion and hence it makes this statement seem feasible.

To put it in another light, I am pretty bad at drawing. But that is no reason for me not to draw. If I practice then I am likely to find I improve at some aspect, even if it isn't to do with drawing. I may find I improve at expressing my ideas in some other area. Also, if I were to draw, it is not perfection that I am striving for. If I tried to draw a famous actor, I would try to make it resemble that person a little. Perfection would be a drawing that encases them, as if by virtue, perfectly. Very few people have the skill and technique to do this, and how limiting would it be if only those people were allowed to try? How would you find/teach new people those skills and techniques? My drawing would likely be pretty poor compared to the perfect copy, but if I were to try and try again at it, I am sure my most recent attempt would be an improvement on the attempt before it.

I suppose what I am saying is that if there is something you want to do, do it. The worst action you can make is to put it off, regret it afterwards and spend your time wondering what could have been. Be sure you make the most of now as there isn't an infinite amount of tomorrow.

To finish, here is a quote from the end of a poem that Adrian Bailey, a teacher at my sixth form, shared at an open mic night:

"There are plenty of people in this life who try to piss on your fireworks, but seldom few set them off. We've enjoyed the spectacle of your catherine wheels and your rockets for many years. Now you have the matches, show people what you want. Light it up, erupt, combust, but please don't fizzle out."

No comments:

Post a Comment